Friday, March 16, 2012

My theory: most Kel-Tec issues would disappear with.......

No doubt the Kel-Tecs are not the top of the line pistols, but they are certainly not the bottom of the line either, far from it in my opinion. I carry a Kel-Tec P-3AT daily and I completely trust it as I would any .380 (as I always have a big boy not far away in my truck (Glock 23)). 

I see forum posts regularly about issues with Kel-Tecs, but I also think a common thread here is that they are not cleaned and lubricated well before the first shoot and regularly after each following shoot. Kel-Tecs do not like to be dirty or dry, that does not mean it is an undependable gun. It is up to us to keep our weapons immaculate, whether it is a Kel-Tec or a Kimber. I surmise that very few of us would have any FTF or FTE issues if our guns stayed cleaned and well lubed. As many have said on this forum, a little grease instead of oil, is a good thing on the slide grooves of a Kel-Tec (the opposite would be true on a Glock, they run better drier).

Secondly, if one always uses reputable, new, clean, brass ammunition I expect the same would hold true, very few FTE and FTF. Now I know that a Glock can perform with most any thing you put in it, but the Kel-Tec is more selective. Those of us that love the Kel-tec for a variety of reasons should consider this too.

With this said, I also know that there are some manufacturing failures, weak pieces that break, stress fractures, etc., but what manufacturer does not have these. All I am saying is the common FTF and FTE issues that give pause to some folks about Kel-Tecs might be a false impression and can be rectified by doing something we should do with all our guns.

Just my $0.02.

No comments:

Post a Comment